Sunday 6 November 2016

BALLS AND BUSHES

I didn't take too much time to plan the next job as I already knew what I had to do. Whilst I had been under the front of the car I saw that three of the four steering ball joints had got split rubber bellows. It looked as if the lower near side one had already been replaced, but I decided I would replace all four



All the old rubber bushes looked to be in poor shape and I had already order and received  replacement poly bushes.


The track rod ball joints split easily. To get the anti roll bar out, I had to remove the oil cooler and as the steering rack bushes also need changing, I drained down the pump and removed it, disconnected the UJ from steering column to rack and eventually managed to wriggled the rack out.


The lower ball joints are proving to be more difficult to split, and I intend to apply some heat and hope that does the job, when the remainder of the bits are off I will push out the old bushes,clean and scrub of the old paint and get them all powder coated, before reassembling with the new bushes, but quite a way to go yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment