Wednesday 27 February 2019

FAILURE TO PROCEED

I obviously did not cross my fingers firmly enough, as despite fitting the new Pertronix 12V Flame Thrower coil, Stella refused to start.


Before I called for the breakdown truck last week, firstly to determine that I did actually have a supply of petrol at the carburetters, I loosened the little jubilee clip to the petrol pipe just before the fuel filter and as I slipped the pipe of the spigot to the filter I was rewarded with a healthy spurt of petrol. Fuel pump definitely working, but I couldn't get the jubilee clip to re tighten,


Also, whilst I was waiting for the truck, a classic car friend pulled up behind my flashing hazard lights and offered his help. He held a screwdriver up a cap of one of the spark plugs and close to the engine, whilst I cranked the engine and then we confirmed my suspicion, No Spark. In fact at least four people stopped to ask if they could be of assistance, I don't suppose one would have stopped if it had been an anonymous modern car with its hazards flashing,

on Sunday, when I got under the bonnet, the first thing I did was to replace the clip. The last place you want a fuel leak is under the bonnet and right on top of a hot exhaust manifold.

The new coil was a piece of cake to fit, loosen the two bolts that secures the clamp that holds the coil and having pulled off the wires, lift the clamp and coil clear. Fit  the new coil in the clamp and bolt it back onto the engine, simples.


The cables are re-connected as before, except the new coil is 12 volts rather than the 6 volt old one and it needs an ignition switch controlled 12 volt supply, When I fitted the Ignitor back in July 2017 that also needed an ignition switch controlled 12 volt supply, so I hacked into that supply and ran a cable to the + side of the new coil and tucked the now defunct cables out of the way

All done and double checked, but sadly, although the engine turned over eagerly, she would not start. A new Ignitor is on it's way, so everything crossed that with a new Ignitor fitted, Stella will spring back to life.

Sorted!, the replacement Ignitor module arrived complete with new base plate, which I decided not to fit. I eventually found a small enough spanner to undo the two little nuts that hold the module to the plate, unthreaded the cables through the hole in the side of the distributor and removed the old module.


The new one bolted down into place, but it was rather fiddly getting the tiny washers and nuts into place, but using tweezers and a small spring claw recovery tool I manage without loosing anything.


All connected, distributor cap back on, go back and check all the wiring connections are correct and turn the key. Instant start, the very first turn, brilliant!

Just got to find out why my recently replaced electric aerial, just like the Duke of York, is neither up nor down, just stuck half way. Ho hum.





No comments:

Post a Comment