Saturday 14 December 2019

T and B's

I was itching to make a start putting Stella back together and the first job was refitting the T bar. Before that could go on, the B post trims needed to be fitted. I covered as much of the new paint with towels and cloths to protect from accidental knocks and then fitted the stainless outer trim, fastened with two rivet's each side, the pop rivet gun made short work of that.


Next was the inner trim, which is pressed steel covered in foam and black vinyl, these had three locating  pegs which once properly aligned allowed the trim to be push firmly into place. One more small piece of stainless and that job was done.

Now the tricky bit, I knew that getting the bolts through the ends of the T to align with the captive bolts in the top of the B post was going to be difficult, I was right. They were adrift by about 10mm and no amount of heaving, pulling on either the T or the B post was getting me anywhere near.


The Stag Owners Forum came up with several answers to help resolve the problem. I adopted two of them, a trolley jack under the front outrigger pumped up high, flexed the chassis enough to laterally align the holes.  A rachet strap around the top of the B post and the upper half of my torso allowed me to pull back on the B post and the bolts connected with the threads of the captive nuts. Everything tightened down, at the front end as well and now Stella has her proper structural rigidity restored. What's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment