Friday 7 April 2017

BRAKES EXHAUSTING

I started off bleeding the rear brakes using the vacuum tool that I bought when I was building Marjorie, my replica Morgan three wheeler kit car. The right hand brake bled quickly with the fluid being drawn through via the vacuum, but when I transferred to the left brake I only drew through bubbles. I called on a chum to press the brake pedal in the time honoured manner and after a few pushes just fluid was coming down the clear plastic tube, but as I closed the bleed nipple brake fluid poured over the back of my hand. A quick nip up of the brake pipe connector to the brake cylinder and the leak stopped and my chum said the brake pedal was firm, that was obviously why I only got bubbles when the vacuum was trying to suck the fluid through.


I adjusted and connected the hand brake cables and refitted the wheels. With the wheels back on the ground the engine started first turn of the key, which was very satisfying. Whilst sorting out a non working horn I left the ignition switched on when I went indoors for a cup of coffee, on my return Stella refused to start and the coil was to hot to touch. Robsport had a new coil with me next day and I was able to drive the car onto my hydraulic ramps and pumped up in readiness for replacing the exhaust system.


Much to my surprise none of the many nuts clamping the exhaust failed to undo, although I did cut through the long lengths of pipe with my disc cutter to make its removal easier.


I started fitting the new stainless system, front end first, leaving all connections loose. That was enough for one day and on the next I jacked up the back end and completed the installation. When everything lined up I tightened all the clamps.

Out for a test drive once I had the front wheels tracked at my local tyre depot and it was all I had hoped for. No more clonks, creaks and groans from the back end and the front now steers perfectly with no more wallowing and wandering, fabulous. Ready now to enjoy the dry, bright weather we are currently expierencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment