Saturday 28 January 2017

CAM COVERS

January nearly done and spring can't be far away so I am pressing on. Removing the cam covers was easy peasy, cleaning them up took a little longer. So out with my bench grinder, fitted with one of my cellular stripping wheels and I started work.


I finished off the job with a selection of wire brushes in my hand drill and fine emery paper to get right into the nooks and crannies. The next photo shows one cover with first coat of primer and the other scrubbed bare and awaiting primer,


Once again, to get a decent finish on these cold, but calm days, I used an old hairdryer to blow warmth into my cardboard spray booth and so far it seems to be working well. I also rubbed down with 2000 grade emery paper between each coat, thoroughly washed them with warm soapy water, before drying and spraying. I will reserve judgement until the final coat of silver paint is applied.


Well, I think the above photo show that my Heath Robinson spray booth works, I am very pleased with the final finish. Going to leave them indoors for another couple of days to harden, during which time I need to coax the cork gaskets back into shape as I had them hanging on a hook in the garage and they have stretched a little. I have taped one of them into the cover I sprayed yesterday and it appears to have worked, the other one I will do the same to tomorrow as I only sprayed that cover this morning. Apologises for the upside down 'TRIUMPH' logo.


While I was at it I decided to give the air filter cover another go. Plenty of gentle rubbing got rid of all the marks I missed the first time and two coats Ford Dove Grey have give it a high gloss finish, not that it shows up in this picture. I will post a before and after picture once all is back on the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment