Friday 13 January 2017

PUMPED UP

I don't believe it, I have just made such hard work of installing the freshly painted Power Steering Pump. Fitting the oil cooler and anti roll bar was a doddle in comparison.

I thought the drive belt must have shrunk in the cold weather, with the pump bolted into place I just couldn't get the belt over the pump's pulley, I tried it this way and that, I put the belt over the pulley first and then tried to bolt the pump into place, but I wasn't even close to getting the bolt holes to line up. After a couple of hours struggling it was time for a cup of coffee and as is so often the case when I returned to Stella I straightaway saw that there are three pulleys side by side down at the crank, one for the alternator, the next one I suppose was for the air conditioning pump, not used now and a much smaller V pulley, obviously for the steering pump, once the belt was placed around that pulley, all the bolts lined up and the belt tensioned. At last.



At least with all the fumbling about the new paint hadn't got scratched. I had given the pump a very thorough rubbing down before I brought it in the house overnight to warm. When I took it outside and placed into the spray booth, a cut down cardboard box I used an old hair dryer to keep it warm and on went the first coat of primer. I brought the pump straight back inside to keep the paint warm and dry and the next day, I again lightly rubbed it down before another coat of primer. The same process for two coat of Halfords black gloss resulted in a final finish that I more than pleased with.



That shiny pump really shows up those tatty cam covers, they are definitely next up for a visit to my spray booth.

With everything back in place, but the car still on the axle stands, I filled up the steering pump with auto gearbox fluid, started the engine. it roared into life as soon as the fuel pump stopped clicking, I was so pleased as it has been two months since I last started the engine, proving that nowt much wrong with the engine and battery. I spun the steering wheel from lock to lock half a dozen time to bleed the system, I topped up the reservoir and went lock to lock a few more times, the fluid level dropped slightly and that was it, steering rack now bled and job done.

Just got to get the wheels back on and lower the car to the ground to settle the suspension, then I shall be able to, for the first time, use my recently delivered hydraulic ramps to again lift the car so I can correctly torque up all the nuts, bolts and bushes, Then it will be time to sort out Stella's back end.

No comments:

Post a Comment